What are the application deadlines?

The following deadlines apply to almost all undergraduate programmes:

  • For the next winter semester: 15 July
  • For the next summer semester: 15 January

The following deadlines apply to all degree programmes with an international focus (currently IBM):

  • For international applicants: 15 April for the next winter semester
  • For German and EU applicants: 15 July for the next winter semester

When can I start to apply?

  • For the next winter semester: from March/April
  • For the next summer semester: from October of the previous year

If your application arrives early, you will receive a confirmation of receipt which will allow you to recheck all of the details relevant to your admission. You will also be notified of any missing documents so that you are able to ensure by the deadline that your application is complete. It is worth applying early!

How do I apply correctly?

For admission to a Bachelor's degree programme, applications – using the designated application form – must be submitted to the HFU Admissions Office at:

Hochschule Furtwangen, Zulassungsamt
Robert-Gerwig-Platz 1
78120 Furtwangen

Applications for admission to a Master's programme – using the designated admissions application form – must be submitted directly to the relevant programme director.

Please note: Bachelor's candidates may only submit one application. Master's candidates may submit multiple applications.

Can I apply if my final secondary school certificate is not yet available?

Yes, you can submit the other documents in the meantime and submit your final secondary school certificate later. However it must be submitted before the final submission deadline.

Can I apply for several degree programmes at the same time?

Yes, the application form allows you to indicate two alternatives (Hilfsanträge) in addition to your first choice of degree programme. However, only one application for admission may be submitted per candidate.

How do I secure a place on the degree programme of my choice?

Enter your first choice of degree programme under "Hauptantrag" (main application). Then enter your two alternative choices under "Hilfsantrag 1 / 2", in case you are not allocated a place for your main application. An alternative choice will only be considered if any places in it still remain after all applicants who selected that degree programme as their first choice have gone through the selection process. Please also indicate in which semester you wish to start (if making a lateral move from one program to another). Applicants who want to pursue a second degree programme should submit a main application only.

Are there any entrance restrictions (Numerus Clausus)?

This depends on the individual degree programme. If the number of applicants exceeds the number of places, then the available places – subject to deduction of special quota reservations – are allocated as follows: 90 per cent of places are allocated using the HFU internal selection process, while the remaining 10 per cent are assigned on the basis of official waiting times.

How do I calculate my waiting time?

Waiting time is calculated according to the number of six-month periods that have passed since the applicant completed the university entrance qualification. If you have previously been enrolled at one or more other universities in Germany, these completed semesters are deducted from your waiting time.

What circumstances entitle me to apply as a hardship case?

Five per cent of university places are reserved for cases of exceptional hardship. This quota means that the recognition of exceptional hardship leads to immediate admission before any other applicants, independent of selection process criteria or waiting times. The ranking is determined by the degree of exceptional hardship. Hardship applications, according to § 12 of the State Regulations for the Allocation of Higher Education Places (Hochschulvergabeverordnung – HVVO), must include a detailed explanation and be evidenced by appropriate documentation (e.g. medical references). There must be serious medical, social, or family-related circumstances that mean the candidate cannot be expected to wait even one semester to be admitted. In other words, the applicant's circumstances must be exceptionally difficult.

What do I have to keep in mind if I have already studied at another university?

Students may not be enrolled at more than one university at any one time. A certificate of deregistration (Exmatrikulation) from the previous university must be presented before or at registration/enrolment. Please note: any exclusions or forfeit of eligibility to take examinations must be declared. For this reason, the application must be accompanied by an unamended list of grades (also including exams that were not passed). The recognition of academic achievements from other universities is subject, following registration, to the approval of the course director or the dean.

Can I start a degree programme at Furtwangen University if I have been permanently excluded from another university because of failing an exam?

If you have been excluded from a previous degree programme because of a final failing grade received for an exam, subject-specific exam, or module, then you must declare this in your application. The same applies in cases of exclusion due to exceeding the deadline for the degree programme in question. You will be required to enclose an officially authenticated copy of a current, unamended certificate of grades with your application. Your application will be assessed separately.

What is the selection process?

If there are more applicants than available places for a specific degree programme, Furtwangen University allocates places according to an internal selection process. After the deduction of special quota reservations (not applicable to the internationally-oriented IBM degree programme), 90% of places are allocated on the basis of the selection process and 10% on the basis of waiting times. A new feature of our admissions policy is that we no longer allocate any places exclusively on the basis of the grade average of the university entrance qualification (Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, etc.). In the IBM degree programme, 100% of places are allocated by means of the selection process, with places distributed equally to international (non-EU) and German/EU applicants.

Do I have to apply to participate in the selection process?

No – participation is compulsory for degree programmes with entry restrictions, since allocation by selection has replaced allocation on the basis of the grade average of the university entrance qualification.

How does the selection process work? Do I have to take part in an interview?

Selection criteria are used to create a ranked list of applicants for restricted degree programmes. These include, for example, school grades in certain subjects (German, mathematics, foreign languages), the average grade of the university entrance qualification (Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, etc.), any completed vocational training, work or internship experience, extracurricular achievements, or any period of activity abroad for a minimum of three months.

A written test or personal interview is not required for Bachelor programmes.

When will I hear whether I have been admitted to study at Furtwangen University?

The first admissions offer letters are sent out approximately one to three weeks after the application deadline. Due to the waiting list procedure, however, you might receive an admissions offer letter right up until the start of the lecture period.

What should I do if I am not allocated a university place?

You can reapply before the next application deadline.
To reapply, we require an informal reapplication request letter containing your application number and reconfirmation of your desired degree programme. Alternatively, you can use the relevant declaration on the rejection form. If you reapply, your previously submitted application documents will be used.

What happens to the photo that I have to submit with my application documents?

If you are admitted and you enrol, your photo will be used to issue your student ID, the HFU-Card. The submitted photo cannot be exchanged once the HFU-Card has been issued. Please submit a recent, high-quality image.