Applied Materials Science (Master)
Master of Science - Taught in German - Accreditation in progress
Materials Science is one of the key disciplines of the 21 Century. Because it delivers solutions for a wide variety of industrial problems, it will play a significant role in the world of the future! In the areas of Health, Energy, Mobility and Communication, as well as Environmental and Climate Protection, modifications in materials will lead to many innovations in the years and decades to come. An understanding of materials is crucial for intelligent product developments, from chemical and atomic structures, through material design to production processes.
The Master in Materials Science at the Tuttlingen Campus prepares you in the best possible way for this multi-facetted and exciting career. The focus of the course is on research and development.
Because the teaching curriculum at the Faculty of Industrial Technologies on the Tuttlingen Campus was developed and is taught in close cooperation with industry, your study programme is practice-oriented and cutting-edge. Field trips to and project work carried out together with various companies, enable students to gain further insights into the field of materials science, materials engineering and the tasks and demands of engineers in the workplace.
The Master in Applied Materials Science is aimed at materials, medical, mechanical and production engineers, as well as natural scientists who wish to expand their knowledge in the field of materials science.
What's in it for me?
Why study Materials Science?
- interdisciplinary field
- excellent careers perspectives
- varied types of work in all areas of technology
- job opportunities at home and abroad
Why study on the Tuttlingen Campus?
- practice-oriented study programme in a welcoming environment
- up-to-date curriculum, latest technological standards
- modern teaching methods
- well-equipped labs and library facilites
- close cooperation with industry throughout programme
- direct access to over 100 leading companies
- curriculum developed in cooperation with industry
- internships and project work carried out in cooperation with industry
- use of labs directly in companies
|Degree awarded||Master of Science (MSc)|
|Duration of programme||3 semesters|
|Programme begin||winter semester 2016/2017, thereafter only in summer semester|
|Application deadline(s)||15 July|
|Restricted intake||8 places with selection procedure|
|Language of instruction||German|
|Language requirements||fluent in German|
|Prerequisities||first degree in relevant field (MINT), 210 ECTS credit points|
The Master's in Material Sciences gives further insights into the fields of materials sciences, materials engineering and production engineering. Courses in management, soft skills, and simulation round off the curriculum. Research practicals and project work are also integrated into the course. The Master's thesis is written in the 3rd semester.
Methods and skills learned
- HR and leadership management, project management, business studies
- Selected areas of the natural sciences
- Materials testing (Practical)
- Research internship, project work
Students deepen their understanding of applied materials sciences in five specialization modules.
Two mandatory modules
- Surface technology: Surface technology and interface connections, functionalization of surfaces (practical)
- Functional materials: composition of functional materials including advanced course on functional materials
- Process and materials bionics: polymers and absorbable materials/bionics
- Hybrid materials: sandwich materials and treatment processes (lecture and practical)
- Implant technology: implants (materials, design, manufacturing technology) and seminar
- Production engineering: advanced production engineering (e.g. orthogonal cutting of high performance materials) and practical
- Innovative manufacturing processes: ancillary manufacturing processes (and practical)
Courses are customized by selecting three of the above electives, plus one module of your choice worth 9 ECTS.
Please note: as course planning is still in progress, changes to course structure and content may occur.
- area of specialization - core module - surface technology
- area of specialization - core module - functional materials
- materials testing (practical)
- selected areas of natural sciences
- management skills
- elective module
Masters thesis, oral exam
Degree awarded: Master of Science in Applied Materials Science (M.Sc.)
The university campus in Tuttlingen has an excellent Materials Lab. Both Bachelor's and Master's students, as well as doctorate students and companies can carry out experiments for practical work or R&D. The university and companies have invested approximately €1.5m in the materials lab facilities which provide an outstanding working environment for students, professors, doctorate students and companies.
The development of products in the future will demand new answers to complex demands on structural elements and components. Expertise in the area of materials sciences is in high demand in nearly every field. As a graduate of the Applied Materials Science Master's programme, you will be able to work in research or in the development of new materials for use in technical products. A broad knowledge of methods will also enable you also to attain leading positions in the area of quality assurance. Through the combination of materials sciences knowledge and business skills you will also be well-equipped to work in the area of engineering management.
With this master's degree, you also have the opportunity to go on to do a doctorate - either at one of our partner universities or with an affiliate university.
Fields of work
There are excellent perspectives in the working world for those with the relevant know-how.
- Materials research and product development
- Quality assurance
- Management and leadership positions
- Development of material-customized production processes
- Medical technology
- Mechanical Engineering/Automotive industry
A doctorate opens new doors
The master's degree gives you the necessary basis for doctoral studies at one of Furtwangen University's partner universities or affiliates.
Applications for the Master in Applied Materials Science are for the summer semester only. Deadline for applications 15 January.
Further Information in German
As the Applied Materials Science Master's degree programme is taught in German, please click here for more detailed information regarding the programme in German.