Bio and Process Engineering (Bachelor)
Bachelor of Science (Taught in German and English)
unique combination of bioengineering and process engineering
The Bio and Process Engineering bachelor's degree programme links the fundamentals of bioengineering with the methods of process engineering to create biotechnological and chemical products in an ideal way. The core areas of the programme show that the emphasis is on processes that provide products for the health, nutrition, water and energy sectors of the future.
Ten good reasons to study Bio and Process Engineering
- Bio and process technologies are key technologies for the 21st century
- A sound education in the fundamentals of the subject combined with modern specialisation options
- Cooperative arrangements with university laboratories and companies in the field
- Interesting research and development projects (carbon cycles, photo-oxidation, bioethanol, systems biology)
- A combination of theory and practice (from the lab to the pilot system and simulation)
- Excellent facilities - cutting-edge measurement devices and labs with high-quality equipment
- Small groups in the advanced and specialisation courses, good personal support, an informal atmosphere
- Excellent national and international opportunities
- A well-respected university thanks to intensive exchanges with industry, clinics and educational institutions (academic advisory councils)
- Ideal conditions for continuing to a master's programme (e.g. in process engineering, bioengineering, biopharmacy)
University entrance qualification or entrance qualification for university of applied sciences
The programme is seven semesters in length including an integrated internship.
Bachelor of Science
Bio and Process Engineering
6. Health – Nutrition/Water – Energy
5. Practical study semester
3/4. Bioengineering specialisation: Microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioprocess engineering
Process engineering specialisation: heat and mass transfer, plant engineering, automation and control engineering, process engineering
1/2. Fundamentals: Mathematics, chemistry, physics, bio and process engineering basics
Advanced school-leaving certificate or university of applied sciences entrance qualification
Interdisciplinary with a practical focus
Besides the fundamentals of natural science, the curriculum includes basic biological, chemical and physical processes in upstream and downstream processing. The programme also covers principles of important laboratory and process-related work methods as well as foreign languages and key competencies, with examples of use providing practical experience.
Specialization and technical orientation
By carefully selecting subjects within the areas of specialization (health, nutrition/water and energy) from the elective catalogues, students can tailor the programme according to their interests and use the wide range of available courses to respond to current developments on the job market.
As well as field-related expertise, a semester abroad can provide students with intercultural skills. The integrated internship semester, sixth semester and seventh (thesis) semester are ideal for taking advantage of this opportunity. For many years, the Faculty of Mechanical and Process Engineering has cooperated with around 20 partner universities in western Europe, Scandinavia, North America, and Asia, and we are currently building more relationships in eastern Europe and Asia. Our aim is to ensure full academic recognition of the semester abroad so that the total length of the programme is not extended.
Bio and process engineering
Molecular diagnostics, histology and microbiology
Artificial organs, biological coatings
Molecular and technical medicine
Medical equipment, laboratory diagnostics
Wanted: Specialists in bio and process engineering
Graduates of the Bio and Process Engineering programme are in great demand in companies that use microorganisms and/or highly developed chemical processes to sustainably manufacture innovative products for modern society, and also in laboratories involved in researching economically-feasible microorganisms and developing the respective technical processes. Career prospects are excellent, especially in future-focused industries, thanks to the practical training and wide range of courses available from the faculty and the related degree programmes in Molecular and Technical Medicine and Mechanical Engineering.
Career opportunities and fields
- Health: The production of medicines, vitamins, proteins, antibodies; the implementation of new methods for diagnostics and toxicology; regenerative medicine; sustainable and healthy foodstuffs
- Industry and business: A wide variety of possibilities in many areas, such as environment, energy, chemistry, pharmaceuticals, construction, food, plant engineering
- Government agencies and municipal facilities: Industrial inspection (genetic engineering supervision, water protection); environmental supervision (vehicle inspection); water treatment; water disinfection; water supply; renewable energy
- Laboratories: Molecular, microbiological, and biochemical diagnostics; histological studies
- Research and development: universities; research institutes (Fraunhofer, Max Planck); industrial applied research
This study programme is taught entirely in German. Applicants must be fluent in German prior to application.
Should you have the required language skills and would like more information please click here for detailed information in German on content, structure, entry requirements and application.