Our Partner Universities

Information on the exchange places offered by our partner universities to the various degree programmes can be found here. You can find more interesting information about our partner universities (testimonials, fact sheets) on FELIX.

Please be aware that, because agreements are constantly changing, the information given here cannot be guaranteed.

Information about the Application Process

The application process for a semester abroad at a partner university has two parts:

Part 1:  Application through HFU

Submit your application through the HFU Online Portal.

Following the application deadline, available exchange places will be distributed among applicants. This process happens in coordination with the relevant Faculty International Coordinators and Regional Coordinators.

If the number of applications received exceeds the number of exchange places available, admission decisions will be made based on academic qualification and student engagement (i.e. participation in the Buddy programme).

If you cannot be placed at your first choice university, you will automatically be considered for your second, then your third choice university if necessary. We will maintain close contact through this process.

Part 2: Application at the partner university

Once you have been selected for an exchange place abroad, you will be nominated at the partner university by the International Center.

You will then need to complete a second application directly through the partner university. The IC will contact you regarding the details of the application process at the partner university.

You will receive your acceptance letter directly from the partner university. 


The exchange semester checklist gives you an overview of the steps during the application process to an HFU partner university and during the study semester abroad. The checklist only gives an overview. For further details please check the website.

Online Application and Deadlines

Applications for an exchange semester abroad at an HFU-partner university must be made via our online portal.

IMPORTANT CURRENT INFORMATION: Due to a technical problem the application-pdf (which you have to hand in signed at the Internatioanl Center) can sometimes not be created. If you have this problem, please send an email to Ms Guennel (guen(at)hs-furtwangen.de ) without delay. In this email please state the email address with which you have registered and the country you are applying for. Ms Guennel will then contact you on Monday to solve the problem.

For W- and IEB-students applying for China a seperate online application form is available in the above named online portal.

The online application is only possible during the following period:

20 November - 20 January for the following winter semester

20 April - 20 June for the following summer semester

Please note:

  • Direct applications at HFU- partner universities are not possible.
  • Further faculty-specific instructions on faculty webpages must be followed.
  • Incomplete application documents will not be accepted.
  • Your application for an exchange place is binding. If you cancel your application without a valid reason (i.e. illness) after having been allocated an exchange place, your new application for another semester will be given second preference and you might only be offered leftover places at partner universities.
  • Please indicate a second and third preference as there is always only a limited number of exchange places available at each partner university.


Time period
Until the application deadline (WS: 20 Jan.; SS: 20 Jun.)Collation of all applications at IC. Normally no acknowledgement is sent but documents will be processed as long as applications are correctly submitted, i.e. are signed and submitted by the deadline, by email or in paper copy.

WS: After 20 January

SS: After 20 June

HFU internal selection procedure for the assignment of places at partner universities.

WS: Approx. March/April

SS: Approx. August/September

Nominations to the partner universities through the IC. You will receive an email from the IC when you have been nominated.

WS: Approx. April to June

SS: Approx. October to November

The IC awaits a response from the partner universities regarding further procedures. At this point you will receive an email from the IC explaining these. You should then apply directly to the university.

WS: Approx. April to July

SS: Approx. October to December

After you have applied to the partner university, you will receive the acceptance (Admission letter/Letter of Acceptance) either directly from the partner university or from the IC. If the letter is sent directly to you, please forward a copy to the IC.
Upon receipt of your acceptance from the partner universityPlease start to organize your stay abroad. All information required can be found below under "To Do before you leave"

Important information:

The application processes and deadlines at our partner universities can vary widely. Therefore the time periods mentioned above are only guidelines. For this reason fellow students may be nominated, have sent their application or may already have received their acceptance before you, but please do not worry, this is quite normal. In such a case, please do not contact the International Center to check on your application procedure. We will process all applications to the partner universities within the time limits given by the partner universities themselves and will forward their responses directly to you. 

Documents required for Online Application

Exception for HFU Business School and IEB students applying for China

Please note: Students from the HFU Business School appying for China do not have to upload their documents, however an online application must still be submitted. Further information regarding application documents and the application process will be supplied by the regional coordinator Ms Li Fang-Heck.

To carry out the online application, the following documents must be uploaded. These are generally required in English.

Exception: If you are taking a study programme at a partner university in Spanish, French or German, then please submit a CV and Letter of Motivation in the relevant language.

  1. Passport photo
  2. CV
  3. Letter of Motivation
  4. Transcript of Grades (from the Studiportal - complete and in German; please upload only a personally scanned document; transcripts which have been created automatically have security configurations which cannot be processed in the online form)
  5. DAAD certificate of language proficiency
    The DAAD certificate of language proficiency can be completed for English by the Language Center. Please arrange an appointment with the appropriate coordinator within the following time periods:
    - for applications for the following summer semester: 20 April - beg. May
    - for applications for the following winter semester: 20 November - beg. December
    Please take with you to the appointment, a printed copy of the DAAD form, (printed double-sided, without page 5) with personal details completed.
    Please note: for application to universities in English-speaking countries, a minimum level of C1 is usually necessary in all categories.
    For completion of the certificate please contact:

    HFU Business School students will receive their language certificate in Spanish or French from the respective regional coordinator. DAAD forms for English are obtained from Morag Lehmann. In this case, please try to arrange with your fellow students to hand in all the forms to be signed together, avoiding multiple individual appointments.

  6. Copy of passport (for applications outside Europe) or copy of personal identity card (for European partner universities)
    If you do not have your passport at the time of application, please upload a copy of your personal identity card and submit a copy of your passport as soon as possible afterwards.
  7. Learning Agreement

    The Learning Agreement must be signed by the International coordinator or dean of studies or the regional coordinator. There are two different forms, one of which is only to be used if you are going to an ERASMUS partner university: ERASMUS+ Learning Agreement. For all other partner universities you should use the General Learning Agreement form. If you have any questions regarding the Learning Agreement please contact the relevant International coordinator. Please also take into consideration specific faculty information on their webpages and on FELIX!

    The ERASMUS+ Learning Agreement must be signed by the student, the International Coordinator or Dean of Studies or Regional Coordinator, and the partner university. The signature of the partner university is not required at the time of application for an exchange semester abroad.  However the completely filled out and signed form must be submitted to the International Center prior to departure. (Copy or scan – you keep the original!) Otherwise part payment of the ERASMUS+ scholarship cannot be made:

    Please use wherever possible only the HFU form in English linked here and not the documents of the partner university!

    5 steps to fill out the ERASMUS+ Learning Agreement:

    1. In Table A list all courses which you want to take in your semester abroad. If you are going abroad for 2 semesters, please list all the courses for both semesters.
    2. In Table B list all HFU courses which you want to have accredited by HFU for the exchange semester abroad. For a general recognition please do not list the individual courses, but rather the “mobility window” and the relevant number of ECTS.
    3. In the Annex please enter the courses which you are taking but do not want to have accredited.
    4. Fill out all fields marked in yellow.
    5. Collect all the required signatures and submit the document by email to the International Center (prior to departure at latest!)

    Additional detailed help to fill out the form can be found at the end of the ERASMUS+ Learning Agreement.

    To fill out the form you will need the Annexes to the Learning Agreement.

    Further information can be found in the Guidelines of the DAAD.

    HFU Business School students and IEB students applying for France, only upload an empty Learning Agreement during the online application. The completely filled out and signed Learning Agreement must be submitted by the following deadline to the International Center otherwise part payment of the ERASMUS+ scholarship cannot be made:

    • Deadline for semester abroad in the winter semester: 15 June
    • Deadline for semester abroad in the summer semester: 15 January

Submission of Paper Documents to International Center

At the end of the online application, a PDF will be produced which must be signed and submitted to the International Center on the appropriate campus before the deadline, either in paper form or as a scan (up to the page where your signature is necessary.)

International Coordinators & Regional Coordinators

A complete list of International Coordinators/Regional Coordinators can be found here.