Information for refugees
The following information is specifically for:
- refugees who are interested in taking a degree at Furtwangen University
- support staff helping refugees who wish to study at a university
Campuses and degree programmes
Furtwangen University has 9 faculties spread over 3 campuses: Furtwangen, Schwenningen and Tuttlingen.
This leaflet gives you more information about our campuses and an overview of the types of programmes we offer, including English-taught and bilingual programmes.
Detailed information about all our courses can be found on our English website here.
Admission requirements and application
For our German-taught Bachelor programmes, you must have proof of German language proficiency at CEF (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) C1 level.
Please note that the following programmes have special language requirements for English or German:
- International Management (IBM): Fluent English necessary (Information on admission requirements)
- International Business (Internationale Betriebswirtschaft (IBW): English necessary, French or Spanish recommended (Information on admission requirements)
Application procedures: Information for international students in Bachelor programmes
Language requirements: Overview of language requirements for admission
Application procedures: International students apply directly to the relevant Master's programme: Programme overview and relevant contact person
Academic and language preparation course
Starting in March 2017, Furtwangen University will be offering a programme to help prepare suitably qualified refugees for the language and academic requirements of a German degree programme. Studying at Furtwangen University will also support early social and cultural integration.
The content of the programme will be customized for each individual participant and will comprise a minimum of 12 hours of teaching per week in the following areas:
- Advanced German
- English course
- Intercultural Competency and Diversity
Individual academic counselling on study programmes and university admission will also be provided. It will also be possible to attend various courses as a guest student. The study preparation course is free of charge. Participation in the course does not automatically grant admission to a study programme.
The programme runs from 13th March 2017 to 30th June 2017.
Prerequisites for participation:
- Competency in German language at least level B2 (in exceptional cases a very good level B1)
- „Hochschulzugangsberechtigung“ (university entrance qualification) (e.g. Abitur, A-level, high school leaving certificate or similar qualification enabling you to attend university in your home country and equivalent to German requirements)
The programme will run if a minimum of 12 participants attend.
If you are interested, please contact us no later than 10th February 2017 and send a photocopy of your graduation documents, your passport and your residence status in Germany. (Here you find the programme flyer)
onSET language test for refugees
If you would like to test your language level in advance, the TestDaF Institute offers a free onSET for Refugees language test for both English and German. The online test can be carried out at any time from any computer with wifi. It offers those who are interested in studying in either German or English the opportunity to find out their level quickly and reliably enabling future students to choose the correct language course to prepare them to take a degree in Germany. Information regarding test versions, registration, participation requirements and access to the tests can be found on the refugees.onset.de website.
Fees and Financing
Tuition and other fees
There are no tuition fees for any Bachelor’s programmes and most Master's programmes at state universities in Baden-Württemberg. However, all students are charged the following fees and contributions every semester. In hardship cases, refugees can apply for a reduction on the fees.
Student services fee
Student union contribution
Fee-paying Master's Degree Programmes
Tuition fees are charged for the following Master's degree programmes, all of which also have a prerequisite of several years of professional work experience:
Business Consulting M.Sc.
€ 1,500 /Semester
International Business Management/Executive MBA
€ 4,500 /Semester
International Business Management MBA
€ 3,200 /Semester
MBA Sales & Service Engineering
€ 2,100 /Semester
MBA Medical Devices and Healthcare Management
€ 4,500 /Semester
The following options are available for financing a university degree:
- BAföG (Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz) Government education grant (Further information on BAföG in German only)
- Overview of grants and scholarships
- Scholarship programme for refugees from Syria: Refugees from Syria can apply to the Baden-Württemberg Programme
- Overview of student employment opportunities
Furtwangen University also offers suitably qualified refugees the opportunity to take part in selected, regular lectures as a guest auditor. Thus it is possible to get to know the university system and to prepare for study at a German university. However guest auditors are not entitled to unlimited participation and where courses are overfilled, enrolled students take precedence. Guest auditors may not take examinations and participation cannot be accredited in any later study programme.
Guest auditor fees are as follows:
- up to 4 weekly contact hours (SWS): €80
- up to 8 weekly contact hours (SWS): €180
- over 8 weekly contact hours (SWS): €240
Upon application, fees for refugees may be partially or completely waived depending on the circumstances.
Information regarding current courses on offer for guest auditors can be found here.
HFU refugee projects and other initiatives
The following HFU initiatives and projects carried out by HFU students all aim to support and integrate refugees in various ways:
- Information from the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) for refugees regarding study in Germany
- Information for refugees regarding "Studying and living in Germany" from www.study-in.de
- Information for refugees from the Baden-Württtemberg Ministry of Science, Research and the Arts (MWK) regarding studying in Baden-Württemberg
- General information about all measures from the German Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF)
- Information from the German Immigration and Refugee Office regarding student residency regulations
Deputy Head of Student Affairs
Executive Master of International Business Management (M)
Schwenningen Campus, Room B 0.05
Tel: +49 (0)7720 307-3221
Fax: +49 (0)7720 307-4720