Welcome to the Furtwangen University Language Center
The Language Center (LC) offers all staff and students of Furtwangen University the opportunity to gain and improve foreign language and intercultural awareness skills - key skills required in international degree programmes, research fields and in the modern working world.
- Over 40 qualified instructors at the LC, mainly native speakers, teach HFU students and staff in well over 100 courses every semester. Courses are held in small groups of max. 23 participants. Our goal is to offer up-to-date and innovative foreign language instruction by regularly extending our range of courses and introducing online modules.
- English for special purposes: Technical and Business English and English for Computing and Health Care are offered from B1.1 to B2.1 CEF (Common European Framework) levels. Advanced courses are offered in Academic Speaking Skills and Academic Writing Skills up to C1 CEF level. Participants who successfully complete the course will be awarded a university certificate.
- German as a foreign language (DaF): Students can participate in a 2-week intensive course prior to semester start, then sign up for courses from level A1 to C1 which take place during the semester. The LC is also a DaF testing center.
- Other foreign languages: we are currently offering Spanish at beginner A1 level.
- Foreign language training courses: The Language Center also organizes internal foreign language training courses and offers English courses for university staff on all three university campuses.
We are normally available during the opening hours below. If you require a personal appointment, please contact us by email in advance. Email addresses are listed under "Team" below.
Language Center Furtwangen
B Building, Room B1.24 and B1.26
Opening Hours of Department Office, B 1.26
Mon. - Thurs.: 12.30pm - 4.30pm
Language Center Schwenningen
D Building, Room D 1.03
Jakob-Kienzle Straße 17
Office Hours, Room D 1.03
Wed.:9.30am - 12.30pm
Fri.:10.00am - 12.00 noon
Language course placement testing and registration
All first semester students and students taking an English or German course at the Language Center for the first time, must take an online Placement Test first. The online Placement Test will be activated at the beginning of each semester.
Please note: registration for German and English Placement Tests is now open!
Registration for language courses - Summer Semester 2017
Registration is possible from 1.00pm on the first day of lectures, 13 March 2017.
Further details and information about how to register for placement tests and language courses can be found under Registration.