Bio and Process Engineering (Bachelor)
Bachelor of Science - Taught in German - ACQUIN accredited
Unique combination of bioengineering and process engineering
The Bio and Process Engineering bachelor's degree programme combines basic bioengineering and process engineering methods to create biotechnological and chemical products.
More than half of German industrial production requires procedural or biotechnological processes. Our graduates will work in fields such as the foodstuffs and construction materials industries, pharmaceuticals, medical engineering, energy, fine chemicals, apparatus and plant construction and environmental protection. The connections between these very different sectors become clear when the processes (flow charts) for each individual process are constructed. The same procedural steps are taken again and again. Thus the same membrane process is used to remove the alcohol from beer which is used for the blood of patients with kidney disease.
We train engineers to understand bioengineering and process engineering processes to be able to implement safe, economical and sustainable production processes. This will be a challenging area for future generations in view of the growing world population and dwindling resources. For this reason, the demand for bioengineers and process engineers will remain high in the long term and offer excellent career opportunities.
|Degree awarded||Bachelor of Science (BSc)|
|Duration of programme||7 semesters|
|Programme begin||summer semester (March) and winter semester (October)|
|Application deadline(s)||15 January & 15 July|
|Language of instruction||German|
|Academic entry requirements||university entrance qualification|
|Language requirements||fluent in German|
|Pre-sessional course / Foundation course requirement||none|
|Programme accreditation||ACQUIN accredited|
Ten good reasons to study Bio and Process Engineering
- Bio and process technologies are key technologies for the 21st century
- Solid academic grounding combined with modern specialization options
- Cooperative partnerships with university laboratories and companies in the field
- Interesting research and development projects (carbon cycles, photo-oxidation, bioethanol, systems biology)
- Combination of theory and practice (from the lab to the pilot system and simulation)
- Excellent facilities - cutting-edge measurement devices and labs with high-quality equipment
- Small groups in the advanced and specialization courses, good personal support, an informal atmosphere
- Excellent national and international opportunities
- Well-respected university due to intensive exchanges with industry, clinics and educational institutions (academic advisory councils)
- Ideal basis for a consecutive master's programme (e.g. in process engineering, bioengineering, biopharmacy)
Foundation level studies
Semesters 1 & 2
Fundamentals: Mathematics, chemistry, physics, bio and process engineering basics
Semesters 3 & 4
Bioengineering specialization: Microbiology, biochemistry, molecular biology, bioprocess engineering
Process engineering specialization: heat and mass transfer, plant engineering, automation and control engineering, process engineering
Practical study semester
Health – Nutrition/Water – Energy
Degree Awarded: Bachelor of Science in Bio and Process Engineering
Interdisciplinary with a practical focus
Besides the fundamentals of natural science, the curriculum includes basic biological, chemical and physical processes in upstream and downstream processing. The programme also covers principles of important laboratory and process-related work methods as well as foreign languages and key competencies, with examples of use providing practical experience.
Specialization and technical orientation
By carefully selecting subjects within the areas of specialization (health, nutrition/water and energy) from the elective catalogues, students can tailor the programme according to their interests and use the wide range of available courses to respond to current developments on the job market.
As well as field-related expertise, a semester abroad can provide students with intercultural skills. The integrated internship semester, sixth semester and seventh (thesis) semester are ideal for taking advantage of this opportunity. For many years, the Faculty of Mechanical and Process Engineering has cooperated with around 20 partner universities in western Europe, Scandinavia, North America, and Asia, and we are currently building more relationships in eastern Europe and Asia. Our aim is to ensure full academic recognition of the semester abroad so that the total length of the programme is not extended.
Bio and process engineering
Molecular diagnostics, histology and microbiology
Artificial organs, biological coatings
Molecular and technical medicine
Medical equipment, laboratory diagnostics
Graduates of the Bio and Process Engineering programme are in great demand in companies that use microorganisms and/or highly developed chemical processes to sustainably manufacture innovative products for modern society, and also in laboratories involved in researching economically-feasible microorganisms and developing the respective technical processes. Career prospects are excellent, especially in future-focused industries, thanks to the practical training and wide range of courses available from the faculty and the related degree programmes in Molecular and Technical Medicine and Mechanical Engineering.
Career opportunities and fields
- Health: The production of medicines, vitamins, proteins, antibodies; the implementation of new methods for diagnostics and toxicology; regenerative medicine; sustainable and healthy foodstuffs
- Industry and business: A wide variety of possibilities in many areas, such as environment, energy, chemistry, pharmaceuticals, construction, food, plant engineering
- Government agencies and municipal facilities: Industrial inspection (genetic engineering supervision, water protection); environmental supervision (vehicle inspection); water treatment; water disinfection; water supply; renewable energy
- Laboratories: Molecular, microbiological, and biochemical diagnostics; histological studies
- Research and development: universities; research institutes (Fraunhofer, Max Planck); industrial applied research
Further Information in German
As the Bio and Process Engineering Bachelor degree programme is taught primarily in German, please click here for more detailed information regarding the programme on our German webpages.
For further information on the study programme please contact: SDek-BPT(at)hs-furtwangen.de