Medical Care

Germany has excellent healthcare facilities and services. Approximately 90 percent of the population is covered by public health insurance which pays for most medical and dental expenses as well as hospital stays. If you are insured by a public health insurance company, you can choose any doctor or dentist who is recognised by that insurance company. Patients usually have to pay a fixed price for any prescription medicine and special services and the insurance company covers the additional cost.

In order to study in Germany you must have valid health insurance. By German law, students enrolled at state or state-recognized universities in Germany must be insured through the statutory health insurance until the end of their 14th semester or until they are 30 years old.

Please check before applying whether your health insurance covers you for Germany or not. 

Please note: Without proper health insurance, enrolment at the university is not possible.

Statutory or Private Health Insurance?

You have the choice between statutory and private health insurance. If you are under 30 years old and do not have a European health insurance card (EHIC), the normal choice is the statutory health insurance in Germany. General information about the German statutory health insurance system can be found here.

Techniker Krankenkasse (TK) Health Insurance Company - (HFU Partner - Statutory Insurance)

Contact: Mr Tobias Hauser
Email: tobias.hauser(at)

During the orientation programme the Techniker Krankenkasse health insurance company will talk about the services they have to offer and can give personal consultations.

AOK Health Insurance Company (Statutory Insurance)

Information for foreign students

Private health insurance
Private health insurance from your home country can only be accepted if it offers adequate coverage for the entire duration of your study in Germany. You can apply to have this insurance recognized by a German statutory health insurance company. If your health insurance meets the coverage requirements you will receive an exemption letter which is required for enrolment.

Please note: for the remainder of your study period, it is then no longer possible to change to one of the statutory health insurance companies.

Contact for Furtwangen





Mr. Burger

Mr.Tobias Hauser


07723 9327 -12

Phone: 07721927444        Mobile: 015118052844




Contact for Schwenningen





Mr. Hosbach

Mr.Tobias Hauser



Phone: 07721927444        Mobile: 015118052844




Contact for Tuttlingen





Karlstr. 2

Königstr. 7


07461 704-0

0800 332060 - 296500




Private insurance for Mature Students (over 30)

Mature students over the age of 30 are generally no longer able to take advantage of the discounted rates offered by the statutory health insurance companies and have to take out private insurance. It is worthwhile comparing the rates of different insurance companies.

Here are some examples of private insurance companies who offer special arrangements for foreign students:

  • Care Concept Tarif: Care College Plus normal or inclusive accident insurance and liability
  • Hanse Merkur: Click on "Ausländische Gäste". The various packages also have details in English. Click on "Im Detail - englisch".
  • MaWista Tarif: Student-Comfort tariff rate. This inclu­des health, accident and liability insurance.

EU or Non-EU State member?

Students from EU states
Students who have a European health insurance card (EHIC), simply show this when they enroll.

Students from non-EU states
If you do not have a European health insurance card, you will have to become insured over one of the German statutory health insurance companies.

Students under the age of 30 are entitled to a discounted student rate of approximately €80.00/mth with one of the statutory German health insurance companies such as the TK and the AOK. (see above for details)

Proof of health insurance for visa application

It is possible to apply for German health insurance before you arrive in Germany. Simply contact one of the insurance companies listed above. They will send a confirmation as proof of German health insurance coverage which can then be used to apply for the student visa.

Insurance for the period between arrival in Germany and semester start

We urgently recommend that you take out private insurance (e.g. travel insurance) for this period of time.

Insurance companies such as the ADAC or the Würzburger Versicherungs-AG, as well as various private heath insurance companies offer such policies.

Further Information on health insurance

Further information on health insurance in Germany can be found on the following websites:

Accident Insurance

All university students in Baden-Württemberg are insured by law against accidents which occur on the grounds of the university or on the way to and from the university. Accidents which occur in your free time outside the university grounds are covered by the student contribution paid to Student Services Freiburg. This coverage also covers holiday travel, internships and activities undertaken in connection with thesis work at foreign universities and research institutions. Further information can be found here.

Please note: The accident insurance included in this fee only covers activities directly related to your studies. We therefore highly recommend that you take out additional liability insurance that covers activities outside your studies (traffic accidents, rented accommodation etc).

Further information on Personal Liability Insurance can be found below.

Personal Liability Insurance

In Germany you are liable by law for damages you cause, for example damage to your landlord's property. This can result in very high costs, therefore private liability insurance is extremely important.

We strongly urge you to take out liability insurance.

For activities carried out in connection with your study and which take place on university property, you are covered by your contribution to Student Services Freiburg. This insurance coverage is also valid for internship semesters necessary as part of your degree. Further information can be found here.

Scholarship holders (e.g. DAAD)

If you are on a scholarship you are likely to have a combined health, accident and liability insurance for the duration of your stay in Germany through a group insurance policy. This will be stated in your scholarship documents. Please bring the relevant proof of coverage with you when you enroll. Further information can be found here.

DAAD Combined Health, Accident and Liability Insurance - Group Insurance contract