Which universities can I go to?

If you have not received a place on an exchange programme or would like to go to a university which is not an HFU partner, it is possible to apply directly to the university of your choice as a so-called Freemover.

However, it is important that the university you choose is an HRK-recognised university, otherwise the credits you are awarded abroad cannot be accredited. To find out which universities are recognised in Germany, check the Anabin Data bank of the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs (German only).

What are the organizational procedures?

As every university has its own admission regulations and application procedures for guest students, it is important to check these on their websites first. We also recommend that you write to the International Office for information regarding admission as a freemover (or as a non-degree seeking guest/visiting student or exchange student).

You can organise your study period abroad completely on your own or go through an agency (which are generally free of charge for you) such as:

How much does it cost?

Unlike Bilateral Exchange Students, Freemover Exchange Students normally have to pay tuition fees. In addition, they generally have to provide a standard certificate of language proficiency (e.g. TOEFL or IELTS).

Where can I find suitable universities and further information?

Information regarding universities abroad can be found on the German Academic Exchange Service - German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) website.

More information from the DAAD regarding study and internships in other parts of Europe can be found on the eu-community.DAAD.de website (German only).

What formalities at HFU do I have to be aware of?

As a freemover you also have to submit a "Semester Abroad Notification Form". This form must be submitted to the International Center by 1 March (for summer semester abroad) and 1 September (for winter semester abroad) together with a copy of the acceptance letter from the guest university.

Moreover you should hand in a feedback report about your study abroad semester - once you have finished it - at the International Center. Instructions on how to write a feedback report can be found under "To Dos". Under "To Dos" you will also find important information on visa, insurance etc.