Timing of Semester Abroad

  • In most faculties the whole 6th semester is spent abroad, following approval from the Faculty Examination Committee. In order to do this, the credits of the planned modules at the guest university must be equivalent in content and scope.
  • An alternative is to take a so-called B semester in a university abroad.
  • Whatever option you decide on, the semester abroad must be well-prepared and planned well in advance and foundation level studies must be completed.

Semester Dates Abroad

  • When planning the semester abroad, it is important to take varying semester dates into consideration. For example in the USA and many other countries in the northern hemisphere, the summer semester begins in January.
  • The normal duration of the academic year in different countries can be found on the website of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The information is currently only available in German. To find the correct page, click on the country of your choice then on the following pages: Land/Bildungswesen/Forschung --> Hochschule- und Bildungswesen --> Studiensystem.

Choice of Host University

Partner university
Information about our partner universities (number of exchange places per degree course, semester dates, tuition fees and other details) can be found  here.
Please be aware that, because agreements are constantly changing, the information given here cannot be guaranteed.

Non-partner university (free mover)
If none of the course offerings at our partner universities interest you, you can apply to a non-partner university as a free mover. Please check here for more details about the application process as a free mover. 

Tuition & Fees

Tuition fees are charged in most countries in the world. An overview of tuition fees in countries outside Europe can be found here.

Tuition free Exchange Places at HFU-partner universities

A limited number of tuition free exchange places are available through our cooperation programme with our partner universities. The number of free exchange places depends on the number of students from the partner university coming to study at HFU.

When you receive a tuition free exchange place you still might have to pay fees at the partner university i.e. for the use of sports facilities, computer center, health insurance etc. This is usually the case at US-American universities.

Partner Universities in English-speaking countries

Some partner universities in English-speaking countries  do offer reduced tuition in addition to the exchange places.

At some partner universities HFU-students have to pay full tuition because no exchange students come to HFU.

Information about the availability of exchange places, tuition and fees can be found on our online databank for partner universities.

On FELIX you can find an information sheet on tuition fees at HFU partner universities in English-speaking countries.

Application and Deadlines

HFU-partner universities
The application is carried out online as described here.
The application periods are:
20 November - 20 January for the following winter semester
20 April - 20 June for the following summer semester

Non-partner universities
The application process at a non-partner university must be organized completely alone. Please click here for further information and ask the respective university for the application procedure and deadline.

Course Counselling and Computation of Academic Grades

Appointment with your International/Regional Coordinator
Please discuss study options at the partner universities and any questions about the integration of the exchange semester in your study programme with your International Coordinator/Regional Coordinator.
It is important to meet with your faculty international coordinator (or in the HFU Business School - the Regional Coordinator) PRIOR to applying.

Learning Agreement
You must complete a Learning Agreement (LA). This ensures that academic credits gained abroad will be recognized at HFU. 
Please use the correct LA-Form: ERASMUS or General Cooperation (Allgemeine Kooperation).
Detailed information on the Learning Agreement can be found here (see: Documents required for Online Application)

Failed Exam at Host University
In case you fail an exam abroad, please consult the regulations of your study programme and get in touch with your dean.

Computation of Academic Grades
Computation of academic grades is carried out through the International Coordinators according to a standard university computation table (German only) which can be found in FELIX.

Study abroad semester with children

Information on how to plan and where to find help can be found here.


Student testimonials can be found on FELIX.