Tuition fees and other study costs

EU citizens pay no tuition fees for undergraduate (bachelor) degree programmes and most postgraduate (master's) degree programmes at state universities in Baden-Württemberg. Tuition fees are only payable for master's programme which have several years of work experience as a prerequisite.

Exchange students from one of our partner universities do not pay tuition fees. You only have to pay the student services fee of €47.

If you come to HFU as a freemover, in other words not as part of an exchange programme, then you have to pay the following fees:

  • Student services fee  €47
  • Administration fee €70
  • Student Union contribution €13
  • If you are from a non-EU country, then, as a freemover, since WS 2017/18 you are also required to pay tuition fees of €1,500 per semester.

Cost of living

The average cost of living of around €550/mth for accommodation, food and medical insurance in the Furtwangen and Schwenningen region is much lower than in large university cities. However for visa purposes students have to submit proof of a monthly income of €720 for the duration of their stay.

The following will give you some idea of living costs:

ItemAverage Cost
Student halls of residence€250-300/mth
One-room apartment€280-350/mth
Medical insurance  €80/mth
Lunch in university dining hall €2.80
Glass of beer in a pub €3.00
Milk (1l) €0.70

Financing your studies

The financing of the semester abroad has to be planned very carefully in advance as opportunities for exchange students to supplement their income, for example to receive a scholarship, while studying in Germany are extremely limited.

In the following pages you can find information about scholarships and working in Germany.