What are the application deadlines?

The following deadlines apply to almost all undergraduate programmes:

  • For the next winter semester: 15 July
  • For the next summer semester: 15 January

There are no special regulations for applicants who gained their entrance qualifications in previous years (Altabiturienten).

The following deadlines apply to all degree programmes with an international focus (currently IBM):

  • For international applicants: 15 April for the next winter semester
  • For German and EU applicants: 15 July for the next winter semester

For Master's programmes the following deadlines apply:

Deadlines  Master's Programme
15 JanuaryBusiness Application Architectures (and 15.7.)
Computer Science (also 15.7.)
Mobile Systems (and 15.7.)
Security and Safety Engineering
15 MayBiomedical Engineering
International Business Management
Smart Systems
15 July Business Application Architectures (and 15 Jan.)
Executive Master of International Business Management
Computer Science (and 15 Jan.)
International Management
Medical Devices and Healthcare Management
Mobile Systeme (and 15 Jan.)
Sales and Service Engineering
15 OctoberBusiness Consulting

When can I start to apply?

  • For the next winter semester: from March/April
  • For the next summer semester: from October of the previous year

If your application arrives early, you will receive a confirmation of receipt which will allow you to recheck all of the details relevant to your admission. You will also be notified of any missing documents so that you can make sure your application is complete by the deadline. It is worth applying early!

How do I apply correctly?

For admission to a Bachelor's degree programme, send applications using the designated application form to the HFU Admissions Office at:

Hochschule Furtwangen, Zulassungsamt
Robert-Gerwig-Platz 1
78120 Furtwangen

For admission to a Master's degree programme, send applications using the designated application form directly to the relevant programme director.

Please note: Only one application may be submitted.

Can I apply if my final high school certificate is not yet available?

Yes, you can. You will receive an acknowledgement with an application number as proof that your application has been received. The university entrance qualification certificate should be submitted giving this application number by the application deadline. We cannot accept the application without the certificate.

Do I have to submit original copies of certificates?

No. Please send an officially certified copy of your certificate which shows your average grade. Furtwangen University can require you to present the original certificates at the time of enrolment.

Can I apply for several degree programmes at the same time?

Yes, you can. The application form allows you to indicate two alternatives (Hilfsanträge) in addition to your first choice of degree programme. However, only one application for admission per person (Zulassungsantrag) may be submitted.

How do I secure a place on the degree programme of my choice?

Enter your first choice of degree programme under "Hauptantrag" (main application). Then enter your two alternative choices under "Hilfsantrag 1 / 2", in case you are not offered a place in the programme of your first choice. Alternative choices are only taken into consideration once all other applicants who selected that degree programme as their first choice have gone through the selection process and there are still places available. Please also indicate in which semester you wish to start (if making a lateral move from one programme to another). Applicants wishing to take a second degree may only submit a main application.

Are there any entrance restrictions (Numerus Clausus)?

That depends on the degree programme. If the number of applicants exceeds the number of places, then the places remaining after the advanced allocation quota has been deducted are allocated as follows: 90% of places are allocated using an internal HFU selection process, while the remaining 10% are assigned on the basis of official waiting times on a waiting list.

How long do I have to wait on the waiting list?

Waiting time is calculated according to the number of six-month periods that have passed since the university entrance qualification was gained. Vocational training or completed national service may reduce waiting time depending on the order in which they took place and particular deadlines. If you have previously been enrolled at one or more other universities in Germany, these completed semesters are deducted from your waiting time.

Under what circumstances can I apply as a hardship case?

Five per cent of university places are reserved for cases of exceptional hardship. This quota means that applicants recognized as cases of exceptional hardship are immediately admitted before any other applicants, independently of selection process criteria or waiting times. The ranking is determined by the degree of exceptional hardship. Hardship applications, according to § 12 of the State Regulations for University Place Allocation (Hochschulvergabeverordnung – HVVO), must include a detailed explanation accompanied by appropriate documentation (e.g. specialist doctor's report). It must be proved that the health, social or family situation of the person filing the application is so serious, that to wait even one semester for admittance is untenable. In other words it must be an exceptional case.

What do I have to keep in mind if I have already studied at another university?

Students may not be enrolled at more than one university at any one time. A notice of exmatriculation (Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung) from the previous university must be presented at latest upon enrolment.

If a student is on academic probation or has been suspended (Ausschluss bzw. Verlust des Prüfungsanspruchs), this must be disclosed.

For this reason, the application must be accompanied by an unamended transcript of records (Notenspiegel), which includes exams that were not passed. The recognition of credits from other universities is subject, following enrolment, to the approval of the dean of studies or the dean of faculty.

Can I take a degree programme at Furtwangen University if I have been suspended from another university due to permanent failure of an exam?

If you have been suspended from a previous degree programme due to the permanent failure of an examination/subject-specific examination/module, this must be disclosed in your application. The same applies if you have been suspended due to exceeding the deadline for the degree programme in question. You must enclose an officially certified copy of a current, unamended transcript of records with your application. Your application will be assessed separately.

What is the selection process?

If there are more applicants than available places for a degree programme, Furtwangen University allocates places according to an internal selection process. After the deduction of the advanced allocation quota (not applicable to the internationally-oriented IBM degree programme), 90% of places are allocated on the basis of the selection process and 10% on the basis of waiting times. A new feature of our admissions policy is that we no longer allocate any places exclusively on the basis of the grade average of the university entrance qualification (Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, etc.). In the IBM degree programme, 100% of places are allocated by means of the selection process, with places distributed equally to international (non-EU) and German/EU applicants.

Do I have to apply to participate in the selection process?

No. Participation is compulsory for degree programmes with entry restrictions, as allocation by selection process has replaced allocation on the basis of the grade average of the university entrance qualification.

How does the selection process work? Is there a personal interview?

Selection criteria are used to create a ranked list of applicants for restricted degree programmes. These include, for example, school grades in certain subjects (German, mathematics, foreign languages), the university entrance qualification grade (Abitur, Fachhochschulreife, etc.), any completed vocational training, extracurricular achievements, or international experience of a minimum of three months. Study places are allocated according to the ranking list.

A written test or personal interview in Furtwangen, Schwenningen or Tuttlingen is not required.

When will I be notified about a study place at Furtwangen University?

The first offers are sent out approximately one to three weeks after the application deadline. Due to the waiting list procedure, however, it is possible to receive an offer at any point up until the start of the lecture period.

Voluntary, military or civilian service or university - what should I do?

You can apply to university both before and while doing voluntary or national service. If you are given a place, you can turn it down on these grounds. In this case you will be entitled to be placed higher on the waiting list (Vorwegauswahl) (see 2. Step: Application).

What should I do if I don't get a place?

You can reapply before the next application deadline. In this case, you should send an informal reapplication request letter with your application number and the name of the degree programme you wish to enter. You can also mention the reason given on the rejection form. The original application documents will be used.

What happens to the photo that I have to submit with my application documents?

If you are admitted and you enrol, your photo will be used to issue your student ID card, the HFU card. The submitted photo cannot be exchanged once the HFU card has been issued. Therefore please submit a recent, high-quality photo.

Can I take a degree without having the standard university entrance qualifications (Abitur/Fachhochschulreife)?

Under the State University Law (LHG § 58 Para. 2 Nr. 5 and 6, 1 April 2014 version) and the University Entrance Regulations for the Employed (BerufsHZVO of 1 April 2014), those who have passed recognized advanced vocational training examinations (Berufstätige mit Aufstiegsfortbildung), e.g. master craftsman qualifications in crafts and industry, are legally entitled to enter any study programme at any university.

In addition, those with a professional qualification and who have a minimum of 2 years, but normally 3 years of professional experience, can gain access to a career-relevant study programme by passing an eligibility test (Hochschulzugang über eine Eignungsprüfung).

In either case, a guidance meeting will also be held at the university.

Please send your application well before the application deadline to the Admissions Office at Furtwangen University, so that there is time to arrange a guidance meeting with the relevant dean of studies and to submit any missing documents.

Application deadline for employed persons with advanced vocational training qualifications (Berufstätige mit Aufstiegsfortbildung):

Summer Semester 15 January / Winter Semester 15 July

Application deadline for university entrance by means of an elegibility test (Hochschulzugang über eine Eignungsprüfung):

01 February for the winter semester

As soon as you have submitted your application documents, you will receive information from us about what to do next and a contact person for the guidance meeting (normally the dean of studies).

If you have not yet decided which study programme you want to take and would like to speak to someone about that before you apply, please contact our Academic Counselling Centre who can help you with general questions related to doing a degree and will help you find the right person to talk to about your questions.

Further information about university entrance for those with vocational qualifications 

How much does it cost to take a second course of studies (Zweitstudium)?

In winter semester 2017/2018, Baden-Württemberg is introducing tuition fees of €650/semester for a second course of studies (Zweitstudium).

What exactly is a second course of studies?
The first course of studies, which consists of a Bachelor's and a Master's degree, is tuition-free. Only if a student wishes to take a second Bachelor's or Master's degree, are tuition fees payable. Those who must take two degrees in order to pursue a certain career, such as orthodontic surgery for example, are exempted from paying tuition fees. Doctorates remain tuition-free.