Step 1. Meeting the Entrance Requirements

Academic requirements for admission
Generally the entry requirements for admission to degree programmes at German universities of applied sciences are the same as those required to enter the same type of academic degree programme in the home country. Click here for an overview of academic qualifications required for some countries. For more detailed information refer to the Anabin database of the Central Office for Foreign Education.

Approval of academic qualifications at Center for International Students - Constance
Foreign applicants with foreign qualifications must have their university entrance qualifications and their proof of German language skills (internationally oriented programmes are an exception) evaluated and approved by the Center for International Students, Constance (Studienkolleg) before application to HFU.

Application to Furtwangen University is not possible until the Center for International Students in Constance has confirmed that qualifications and German language skills are adequate.

Click here for details on how to apply to the Center for International Students in Constance. If the application is not successful, preparatory courses are offered to bring qualifications up to the required standard. More information on these courses can be found below.

Applicants who hold a German university entrance qualification (so-called Bildungsinländer) are treated as German citizens and are subject to the normal application and admissions procedures.

Applicants to the International Business Management programme do not have to carry out the evaluation procedure themselves. This is done for them by the university upon application.

More detailed information regarding entrance requirements can be found under individual degree programmes and under Application - Bachelor Programmes.

German Language Proficiency

Proficiency in German
To be accepted into a full-time degree programme, all foreign applicants must prove that they have very good German language proficiency (exception: internationally oriented programmes). The certification of language proficiency is the German Language Test for University Entrance for Foreign Applicants (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber und Studienbewerberinnen - DSH). An alternative for the DSH test (DSH 2 or 3) is the TestDaF certificate.

Further information can be found here:

Preparatory Courses

Applicants who do not meet the required level of proficiency can take a preparatory course at the Center for International Students in Constance. After attending classes for one or two semesters, the applicants take an assessment exam (the so-called Feststellungsprüfung) and the DSH German test which entitles the applicant to study at a university in Baden-Württemberg.

German Language Qualifications accepted

Holders of the following language certificates are exempt from the DSH German test:

  • TestDaf certificate with a minimum average score of TDN4 in all 4 parts of test
  • Language diploma of the Conference of Education Ministers (Kultusministerkonferenz) Language diploma level II
  • Successful completion of the assessment exam (Feststellungsprüfung) at a German Centre for International Students (Studienkolleg)
  • PNDS German test
  • High school graduation certificate from an international German school where instruction is carried out primarily in German
  • School attendance up to and including 9th grade where all subjects are taught in German
  • telc Deutsch C1 Hochschule

Goethe Institute tests:

  • Zentrale Oberstufenprüfung (ZOP)
  • Kleines Deutsches Sprachdiplom (KDS)
  • Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS)
  • Goethe-Zertifikat C2 - Großes Deutsches Sprachdiplom (GDS)

English Language Proficiency

The internationally oriented International Business Management (IBM) degree programme requires very good English language proficiency. Applicants must provide proof of one of the following certificates:

  • TOEFL (550 paper-based, 213 computer-based, 79 internet-based or higher)
  • IELTS (6.0 or higher)
  • Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency (grade B or higher)
  • Cambridge Advanced Certificate (grade A)
  • German Abitur Grade in English (grade 2.0 or 10,11,12 points or higher)
  • English grade from a secondary school in the European Union (equivalent German grade)
  • GCSE in English (grade B or higher)
  • International GCSE in English as a Second Language (grade B or higher)

 Proficiency in German is not required.

Visa and Residency Permit

For a stay of longer than 3 months in Germany, foreign students also require a residence permit. If a visa is required, this must be applied for at the same time as the visa in the home country. In other cases it can be applied for after arrival in Furtwangen or Schwenningen. In order to apply for a residence permit all foreign students require the following:

  • Proof of financial means. For the purpose of issuing a student residence permit, living costs for foreigners are regarded as safeguarded (according to §16 of the residency regulations) if the foreign person has a monthly income of €720. A Statement of Financial Support form can be downloaded here.
  • Proof of valid medical insurance.

Information for students from  China

Chinese applicants must also provide the Center for International Students in Constance with the original certificate from the Academic Testing Centre (Akademische Prüfstelle - APS) in Beijing. Appointments to receive the certificate and visa should be applied for at the following address:

Akademische Prüfstelle
DRC Building D1, 1302
19 Dongfang Donglu,
Chaoyang District
100600 Beijing
Tel.: + 86 (0)10-6590 7138
Fax: + 86 (0)10-6590 7140
E-Mail: info(at)

Applications without the original certificate from the APS will not be accepted by the Center for International Students in Constance and will be returned. This also applies for applicants who are already resident in Germany. The APS certificate is necessary even if a study place in Baden-Württemberg already exists or if the assessment exam (Feststellungsprüfung) or the test of German language proficiency (DSH) have already been passed. In such cases, authorized copies of these certificates should be submitted to the Center for International Students in Constance.

Further information: